Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My Studio

     My studio is my creative and sacred space. I write, pray, meditate, exercise, and think in my studio. I am surrounded by my stuff - things that have meaning to me. My six foot long wooden desk, given to me by a friend who moved away. Four wide tall bookshelves that hold wisdom and knowledge. My treadle sewing machine, lovingly restored twenty-five years ago by an old man from my church. An old ugly glider rocker and ottoman that are the ultimate comfort as I sit and gaze on the mountains. New miniature citrus trees bask in the sunlight streaming through the floor to ceiling windows. A red multi-colored faux Persian rug on the floor, vegetable seedling growing on shelves by the window and gentle music softly playing beckon  me into my studio.
     I've spent the last year creating my Women's Corner, which is the photograph on this blog. Over the years I've collected numerous itmes that pertain to women, mostly historical things. I've kept them in boxes, on shelves and in drawers. Because my interest as a historian is primarily about the lives of women, I decided to display everything I have that women's hands touched, used and loved.
     I have narrow black button shoes, faded red leather gloves, and lace edged handkerchiefs. Intricate apple seed necklaces, china dolls of all sizes and numerous hats and shawls. A turquoise glass "Lydia Pinkham" bottle, an ornate gold-handled red umbrella, glass bead necklaces, and china teacups and saucers...and so much more. Each item I touch reminds me of women's lives.
     My studio is often messy, but it is always inviting. Piles of papers adorn my desk, boxes overflow with files and stacks of folded fabric adorn the treadle. The ceiling fan hums in the heat of summer and my laptop glows with words and phrases. But inspiration always comes when I sit in my rocker, open the door and catch the scent of the rain drenched garden and see the luscious green alfalfa of the hayfield.     
    
    
    

2 comments:

  1. Whoot whoot! I love it. Love the colors and the photo. Your blog is as inviting as the cozy room where you wor

    ReplyDelete